More Questions on Complicated Measures

Home Forums Music Braille More Questions on Complicated Measures

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Robert Dietrich
    Participant

Hello Kathleen:

I came across another complicated measure, and I wonder if the way I transcribed it would be the most effective, or if you have a different suggestion. The part that is cut off reads R.H. Sorry.

Thanks,

Robert

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Hi Robert!

First off - is this a piano method book? If not, let me know and I'll rethink some of these answers. But assuming it is....

You'll want to have a long TN before the music example explaining what's going on. You can say that the music between the bar lines is labeled "measure." And that counting is printed below the notes. Say that the measure will be spaced irregularly to accommodate the numbers below the music. Let them know that a dot 5 indicates the measure is to be continued. Describe that the letters are printed inside the notes but that will be omitted in braille. You can also say that the instruction "play 3 1 together" appears before the first chord in your TN. I would not use the music finger numbers - took me a minute to figure out what was going on there! Just use the numbers.   - and then don't forget to include the fingering in the music itself.

I would use typical piano format, with the measure number at the margin without the numeric indicator, and the usual right-hand sign and intervals read downward, not upward. "Count" doesn't need to be enclosed in transcriber's note indicators since it appears in print. Use a music hyphen after the first half note and its interval to indicate the measure is not completed.

(Just a word 0f caution - when doing single-line format, which you started with the number 1 (with numeric indicator) at the margin, we don't put word sign expressions above the measure like that. Expressions will always be in line with the music. We can only remove them from the parallel in bar-over-bar format - which I am suggesting you change to! And if you put the direction in your TN or before the music, you don't have to include it in the music itself, either above the parallel or within it. Does that make sense?)

Please let me know if you are working with something other than a piano book or if anything looks weird or confusing!

Thanks!

Kathleen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.