multiple one and/or two word italicized paragraphs

Home Forums English Braille American Edition multiple one and/or two word italicized paragraphs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

I know when there are multiple italicized paragraphs, when it's necessary to retain that emphasis, I start each paragraph with double italics and only place a single italics indicator before the last word in the last paragraph (at least I hope I got that right!). How do you handle a situation like this (each line starts a new paragraph):

So, blah blah blah ... and then some.
    Really?
    Oh.
    Now what?
    And that's all there was to it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well this is interesting. There isn't anything that covers one word paragraphs.
    So what makes the most sense, and what makes this the easiest to read.
    Double italics on each paragraph of one or two words seems a bit silly and would not make sense to the braille reader.
    I would recommend single italics on each word.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What you say makes sense to me. I found where this is mentioned, and I just don't think it really works for my example (which is why I asked). On page 15-6 of the Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing (5th edition), it says, "When an italicized (or otherwise emphasized) passage consists of more than one paragraph, the double emphasis indicator is placed at the beginning of each new paragraph regardless of its length or content (even if the paragraph consists of just one word). The single emphasis indicator, indicating the end of the emphasized material, precedes the last word of the last paragraph."

I'm with you--I'm going for readability with the single italics.

Thanks!

braillebud
    Participant

You're more than welcome.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.