multiple unmarked references per page

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook multiple unmarked references per page

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rsherwood12
    Participant

Hi Cindi,

I have a UEB text with multiple unmarked marginal notes on every print page. Each note applies to the entire paragraph to its left. The text is also line-numbered, but I understand that under the proposed Braille Formats we are no longer adding the line numbers to note references.

The customer wants to know, if I insert [Note] after the relevant paragraphs, how will the reader know which footnote at the end of the print page to look for? Is there any way to identify or distinguish the notes after the note separation line?

Thanks,
    Rebecca

claurent

You are correct we are not to add line numbers.

The notes are placed in the order in which they occur on the page.  Do you think this might be more appropriately treated as marginal labels?  Especially if there isn't a specific point within a paragraph that it applies to?

If every paragraph is marked, it might be easier for the reader if you DID include the line numbers.  I guess I don't really know enough about your print.  But if every paragraph is marked, the marginal label guidelines really wouldn't work well either.

Cindi

rsherwood12
    Participant

Here is a sample. It's a 600 page document. I don't think marginal labels format would work because almost every paragraph is labeled, and they're different labels on every page.

The customer has told me that the label applies to the entire paragraph, so at least that takes away the guessing which lines the note applies to. I'll just insert the [note] TN at the end of the paragraphs. Looking at these pages, do you think it would be too confusing without line numbers to identify the notes? If you included line numbers, would you just insert them before the notes after the note separation line and still only use the [note] TN within the text?

If a note appears on one page, but the paragraph continues to the next page, would you put the [note] TN at the end of the paragraph and move the note to the bottom of the next print page?

Thanks for your help,
    Rebecca

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

These do not look like reference notes to me...they don't add any extra information or point the reader elsewhere.  They don't define words used in the paragraph.  They are almost paragraph headings...would it work to do that?  Make them emphasized paragraph headings on the paragraph to which they apply?  If you choose to do this, do a transcriber's note on the TN page explaining what you have done.

Cindi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.