Multipurpose Indicator

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Multipurpose Indicator

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ricia2001
    Participant

I have a simple question that I always struggle with. It is how to braille the codes that go with the Common Core State Standards in Math books.
    The one I have in this book is:

S.ID.1

I believe the way it should be brailled is [braille],S".,,ID".1 but I am not sure. I normally don't have alpha, decimal, alpha, and I think that is what is concerning me.

Thanks in advance.
    Patty

dworthing
    Participant

If you are sure those are both decimals -- neither one is a period -- then you must follow section 177. The multipurpose indicator must be used after the decimal point to indicate that the symbol that follows it is not numeric. So the dot 5 should be between the decimal point and the following letter. The second dot 5 would precede the decimal point between the D and the 1 to indicate that the decimal 1 is not a subscript. An update to the Nemeth Code states that letters in abbreviations that are a mix of numbers and letters should be capitalized individually.
    [braille],s.",i,d".1

ricia2001
    Participant

Thank you for the clarification Dorothy. You asked if I am sure that they are both decimals and that neither is a period. How would I be able to tell? Thanks again.
    edited by ricia2001 on 7/29/2013

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.