negation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    togilby
    Participant

I haven't been able to locate a symbol for negation in the Nemeth Code book,
    see attachment
    HELP!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    togilby
    Participant

This variant logic symbol ¬p is not listed in the Nemeth Code. The transcriber should devise a symbol that is in keeping with usage. In this case, I suggest a 2-cell "dot 4" symbol since the more common symbol of ~p (tilde p) is a dot-4 symbol. Note that, listed in Appendix B of the Nemeth Code, there are 71 symbols beginning with a dot 4 so choose your symbol carefully since you cannot use one which already has a meaning. I suggest (4, 1345) -- dot 4 "n" for "not" -- explained in a transcriber's note. Wikipedia says "No matter how it is notated or symbolized, the negation ¬p can be read as "it is not the case that p", "not that p", or usually more simply (though not grammatically) as "not p"."

If a reader has experience with this symbol and has come up with a different solution, please write. Thank you.

Lindy Walton

thank you, Lindy! I will definitely go with your suggestion,
    trumbull

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.