Negative Fractions in UEB

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Negative Fractions in UEB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ydnic1948
    Participant

I have a fraction in which both the numerator and the denominator are negative as well as the whole fraction being negative. How is this brailled? I have attached an example. Thanks. Cindy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Cindy,

I believe your question may be better suited for the UEB category of the Ask an Expert forum.

In response to your question, since your example fraction is not entirely numeric (section 6.1 in the Guidelines for Technical Material), you should use the general fraction indicators (section 6.4 in the GTM). And, since your minus/negative signs are not in the superscript position, you should simply use the minus symbol (section 3.4 of the GTM)

The following is how I would transcribe your sample fraction (simbraille image attached):

"-;("-#a./"-#b)

[The grade 1 symbol indicator is used before the opening general fraction indicator so that it is not misread as the "of" contraction. No other grade 1 indicators are used because 1) the minus symbol cannot be misread, and 2) the first numeric indicator sets grade 1 mode.]

–Kyle

The GTM (UEB Guidelines for Technical Material) can be found through BANA's website.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by kdejute.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.