Nemeth Code or UEB

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth Code or UEB

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sshreck
    Participant

Kyle,

Please advise!

Just when I think I have this all figured out, I question myself.

On the attached print page 58, should we use Nemeth Code or UEB for the measurements?

We do have a copy of the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts Approved April 2018.

Thank you Kyle.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

In the illustrations in your attachment, the measurements written on the measuring cup include fractions and mixed numbers, and those must be transcribed in Nemeth Code. So I would suggest putting the whole tactile graphic of the measuring cup within Nemeth Code switch indicators.

The measurements written on the graduated cylinder and on the beaker do not contain anything that needs to be in Nemeth Code, so their tactile graphics should be in UEB. [They could be within Nemeth Code switch indicators that are required for something else (e.g., the measuring cup)]

Does that make sense and help?

Oh, please don't beat yourself up! We are all learning, feeling like we know it, and then learning some more!!!

–Kyle

sshreck
    Participant

Kyle,

Thank you so much, you clarification does help.

Wondering about the graduated cylinder though would the 50 ml not require this to be in Nemeth Code as well?

Thermometers are also a question for us, Nemeth code or UEB Literary? Would the degree indicator being present require Nemeth?

Thank you for your quick reply as well.

Sally.

kdejute

Sally,

It's tempting to think that 50 mL requires Nemeth Code; however, in the Guidance, #5 under Additional Guidelines says (italics added), “Abbreviated measurement units (e.g., ft., min) adjacent to related numbers transcribed in Nemeth Code are part of the technical expression and are transcribed within the Nemeth switch indicators.”

So, any number that is in Nemeth Code (e.g., because it has a decimal, superscript, symbol of currency, etc.) must pull into the Nemeth Code with it a related abbreviation that is next to it, even though that abbreviation would otherwise be transcribed in UEB. But, 50 does not require Nemeth Code, and its abbreviated measurement unit does not either.

As for the degree sign, yes, it does need to be in Nemeth Code.

Happy to help.
    –Kyle

sshreck
    Participant

Kyle,

Maryland here again with more questions. My 1st instinct is to use Nemeth Code within UEB for these number expressions using the nemeth right arrows? shape indicators? etc. But I don't feel confident without running these past you first.

We do appreciate your advice.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Sally,

Yes, the equation "question-mark-in-a-box = 2+3" must all be in Nemeth Code (with the general omission symbol, a full cell, used for the question-mark-in-a-box).

Yes, the equation "question-mark-in-a-box = shaded-diamond +1" as well as the equation "shaded-diamond = 4" must be transcribed in Nemeth Code.

Yes, the right-pointing arrow that indicates continuation of a series is best transcribed in Nemeth Code; including the numbers of the series within the Nemeth Code switch indicators necessitated by the arrow is probably the best transcription.

Yes, the pairs of numbers enclosed in square brackets with right-pointing arrows connecting the members of a pair are best all transcribed in Nemeth Code (with the general omission symbol used for the question marks).

Last, but not least, it would be quite acceptable to include the answer choices, which consist of nothing but simple numerals, within the Nemeth Code switch indicators used for the pairs of numbers connected with arrows.

Does that cover most everything and set you up to feel more comfortable moving forward?

–Kyle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.