Nemeth in UEB wide table with alignment issue

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth in UEB wide table with alignment issue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rsherwood12
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

Attached is a sample of an accounting equation table. I am trying to figure out the best format to represent wide tables such as this. In the attached, I have used a keying and vertical division technique.

I am curious about how to align the dollar signs and plus/minus signs when the numbers are aligned for place value. It is not quite the same as a spatial addition/subtraction problem, so I assume the numeric indicator will be used or not be used according to provisions of the Nemeth Code.

Can you give me your opinion on the attached attempt and any advice on alignment?

Thanks much,
    Rebecca

kdejute

Rebecca,

I'm afraid that your sample file is larger than the forum will allow, so unfortunately I cannot offer any thoughts on what that looks like.

In partial response to your message, indeed the numeric indicator should be used or not used according to the rules of the Nemeth Code, and I might assume that in your example, the numeric indicator would be left out more often than included. Again, without seeing the example, I would be inclined to align dollar signs separately from signs of operation in the interest of reading ease.

Thank you for your question, and I will keep an eye out for a compressed upload of your sample file.

Cheers!

–Kyle

rsherwood12
    Participant

My apologies. I didn't notice if the system told me the file was too large when I originally posted.

I've separated and attached the print sample as a .pdf and the braille sample as a .brf. Hopefully they are small enough to come through.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Well, hmmm.

I think your set-up is a good start. Please consider the set-up in the attached .BRF, which makes more use of keying in the interest of keeping horizontally related the equations that are communicated via the column headings. I've followed your (I think appropriate) decision to, within this table-style presentation, align numbers by place value and allow dollar signs and operation signs to stick next to their related numbers.

Thank you for your neat question as well as your patience.

–Kyle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.