Nemeth indicators and tables

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth indicators and tables

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    smart_10357
    Participant

Where do Nemeth indicators go in a table? If I put them at the top of the table there are guide dots to the next column. Do I put them before the table?

Thanks,

Susan

Lindy Walton

Hi Susan. There are many guidelines for tables because just about every table has unique challenges. So I can't give you a straight answer to your question. If you can send me an image of this table, I'd be happy to give you some ideas. There may be some webinars or workshop materials that can help, too. I'll let you know what I find.

Lindy

kdejute

For what it is worth, when I'm thinking about where to place code switch indicators with tables, I first revisit #7 under Additional Guidelines in the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts.

In addition, the thought process below may be helpful. It is taken from page 47 in the 2020 workshop "Nemeth and Formats and How They Work Together."

–Kyle

How much Nemeth Code does this table need? A thought process.
    • Does every part of the table need to be in Nemeth Code?
      Yes or No?
      If yes, then use Nemeth for the whole table. May every part of the table be in Nemeth Code?
      If no, then move to the next question.
    • Does every part of the table’s rows [not columns] need to be in Nemeth Code?
      Yes or No?
      If yes, then insert an opening switch indicator on a line by itself following the column separation lines. May every part of the table’s rows be in Nemeth Code?
      If no, then move to the next question.
    • Does every entry (not including row headings) need to be in Nemeth Code?
      Yes or No?
      If yes, then do as above and treat the row headings as technical material. May every entry be in Nemeth Code?
      If no, then consider using separate pairs of code switch indicators for the few pieces of the table that need to be in Nemeth Code.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.