Nemeth Indicators

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth Indicators

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

How should I use the Opening and Closing Nemeth Indicators in a situation like the one in problem 24 on page 422? Should I open before 3/8, use the one-word switch indicator for each “inch”, close after 3/4, open before 1/2, and close after 1/2? Or should I open before 3/8, leave each “inch” and “and” in Nemeth Mode (uncontracted), and close after 1/2 inch? This would greatly decrease the number of indicators but leave the words uncontracted. Which would be best in such a situation?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

It's a good question, and I apologize that my response was delayed.

In the example you provided, the word "inch" is a word and so should be transcribed in UEB. So, your first suggestion, to use the one-word switch indicator for each "inch" is the one that I would choose. If you do not transcribe "inch" in UEB, then it could be argued that you've treated it as technical material, a sort of "i times n times c times h" instead of treating it as a word.

Thank you for your question, and thank you sincerely for providing a shot of the print.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.