Nemeth math underneath text

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth math underneath text

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cheri A. Wales
    Participant

Hello. I'm trying to braille about 20 similar math pages for a student.   In each of the 4 problems on each page, the student is adding up the price of items where the price of the item is under the name (please see attached). I've been doing it horizontally like in print.  I'm running into the problem that the names are longer than the price and sign of operation.  How do I space the Nemeth correctly in that situation?  Can I put a space before the plus sign like I would do if there was a line break needed?  Should I be doing this vertically instead and lining up the math like a spatial problem?  I've checked the Nemeth and Formats rule books and tried searching this Forum but I'm lucking out so far finding the answer.  Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi Cheri.
    It's time to get creative and think outside the box. Here is how I would present this problem. Transcribe the words within a Nemeth equation, inserting the math symbols (plus and equals) but not the dollar signs. Then transcribe the equation with the dollar values. See the attached brf file.
    Let me know if this works for you.
    Lindy

Attachments:
    Cheri A. Wales
    Participant

Hi.  Thank you very much for your reply.  I think that may work with other math we'll do again in the future so I'll keep that for reference.  Unfortunately it didn't work with this student as the student (who has additional disabilities) didn't understand the problem if I separate the words and the prices. I taught him about guide dots this summer; I may just try adding those where the item is notably longer than the price. Thank you for trying to give me a better way to format it.

Thank you,

Cheri Wales

Lindy Walton

I have an idea, see attached. Technically, the word "plus" should be between transcriber's note indicators, but when you are meeting the needs of a specific student you can make adjustments.

Attachments:
    Cheri A. Wales
    Participant

Thanks!  I'll share that with my TVI.  I appreciate it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.