Nemeth switch indicators concerning units of measure

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth switch indicators concerning units of measure

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Denise Jernagan
    Participant

Good afternoon,

I am looking for confirmation on my interpretation of what should be included within Nemeth switch indicators concerning units of measure.

My understanding is that when a modified number is next to a unabbreviated unit of measure, only the modified number is included in Nemeth. However, when the unabbreviated unit of measure is a part of an equation or expression it would be included within the Nemeth switches. Are my following interpretations correct?

“¼ ounce”  Only ¼ is inside the code switch indicators; ounce will have UEB contraction applied.

“1/4 oz” All is included within code switch indicators.

“A=1/4 ounce” All is included within code switch indicators regardless of ounce being abbreviated or not; ounce will be uncontracted.

“A=43,560 square feet” All is included within code switch indicators, all is uncontracted.

“1 acre=43,560 square feet and 1 cup=8 fluid ounces” All is included within code switch indicators with a single-word switch indicator only placed on the word “and”; all will be uncontracted.

Thank you,

Denise

Lindy Walton

Hi Denise.

Your understanding of this code switching rule is correct.

All of your examples are correct with the exception of the last example: the word "and" will be contracted because it is in UEB with the single-word switch.

Thank you for checking with us.

- Lindy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.