Nemeth with UEB graphics

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth with UEB graphics

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bama Braille
    Participant

I use Nemeth with UEB.  In doing graphics, am I right in understanding if one thing is in Nemeth, then the entire graphic is in Nemeth?  Does this mean that I put the entire page in starting and ending nemeth indicators?  Or if the page had some text before the actual graphic, but all on the same microcapsule page, do I put the nemeth indicators after the text?  Another question:  If I have something like a grid or mathematical shapes and there are no mathematical expressions, should that graphic be in nemeth indicators?  For example, itemized 1. followed by an isosceles triangle.   All in nemeth indicators?

Lindy Walton

It sounds like you have the right idea. The decision whether or not to switch to Nemeth for a graphic is the same, really, as switching decisions within the narrative. A tactile graphic is not in any "code" per se -- it is the braille symbols associated with it, such as labels or keyed items, that obey the rules of UEB or Nemeth, as appropriate.

There are spacing issues in a graphic, however. If the labels can all be done in UEB, do so. If, however, a label requires a switch to Nemeth, it is ideal to place the switch indicators out of the way of the graphic -- that is, open Nemeth, blank line, graphic (with Nemeth labels), blank line, terminate Nemeth (if needed).

This will encompass the entire page only if the drawing itself takes the entire page. If the page has text before the graphic, open Nemeth after the text. The opening Nemeth Code indicator can go on the same line as the narrative, but if it doesn't fit, put it in cell 1 on the next line. The blank line the precedes the graphic will be on the following line.

An exception is made regarding Cartesian graphs, which may be transcribed without the use of code switch indicators as long as the omission is clearly stated on the Transcriber's Notes page.

Code switching needs to be considered individually with each graphic.

Lindy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.