Nemeth within UEB questions

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth within UEB questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

I'm unsure of how to proceed for the attached. In the boxed material, for the "Account Balance" column dollar amounts, should I enclose each dollar amount in its own set of Nemeth enclosure indicators?

The Line Graph will be on the following braille page. Do I add a TN explaining the whole graphic is in Nemeth and transcribe all the words (heading and months) uncontracted? Or, do I use the single-word switch indicators before each word and contract them? Is there another option?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Laurie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Good day, Laurie! Thank you for your question. May I suggest that you include a TN before your table explaining that "all numbers are dollar amounts" or "each number in the following table is preceded in print by a dollar sign"? Then perhaps you could omit the currency symbols in the braille and so avoid code switching altogether.

If you feel that you must use Nemeth Code, then I would suggest using a set of Nemeth Code switch indicators for each dollar value.

How does all that sound?

–Kyle

CarmenG
    Participant

I would like some additional clarification on this, please, Kyle.  In the conference session Nemeth in UEB, October 2016, Dorothy Wellington had a table on page 45 (Example 28).  Row headings were words, and they were brailled uncontracted and without any code switch indicators.  They were in a section being brailled in Nemeth code.  The conference note for this says, "The row headings are considered to be part of the technical material.  The single-word switch indicator is not required.  Contractions are not used within Nemeth indicators."  How do I know when a wordy part of a Nemeth table (row headings/column headings) is "part of the technical material"?  I would assume this would also apply to graphics such as labels for bar graphs (label for vertical scale?/horizontal scale?)  I'm just at a bit of a loss on this.

Thanks, Carmen

Attachments:
    kdejute

Carmen,

Your question is a good follow-up.

First, please let me point to the second sentence of #6 (on page 7) under Additional Guidelines of the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code in UEB Contexts, which says "When table entries are technical material but the row headings are words, the whole table is considered technical material, excluding the table title and column headings." Dorothy Worthington used the example you shared (thank you for uploading it) to illustrate this portion of the Guidance.

Second, you're right that Laurie could have used what's outlined in #6 mentioned above to lay out the "Account Balance" table. An image of the braille for this layout is attached.

Third, the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics currently do not include anything on using Nemeth Code within UEB contexts. So, we are left to make the most reader-friendly decisions we can within existing code guidelines. With that said, unless it would be confusing, I agree with your assessment that (until/unless TG Guidelines tell us otherwise) labels for the axes of a graph presented as a tactile graphic could be included uncontracted within Nemeth Code switch indicators that are necessary for the rest of the graph [This is not the case for Laurie's graph if only the dollar sign is done away with].

–Kyle

Attachments:
    braillebud
    Participant

Thanks to both of you. I have a better understanding now. (It certainly will be nice when/if we get some official TG guidelines regarding Nemeth within UEB transcriptions.)

Laurie

CarmenG
    Participant

Thanks, Kyle.  That was exactly what I needed to know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.