Networking manual

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Networking manual

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

I'm struggling with this project. The manual is filled with computer commands, IP addresses, and charts that are many pages long. The requested braille code is UEB/Nemeth. I'll have more questions in the coming days, but let's start with this one. Would you please comment on the attached chart and my transcription? (The chart continues for 7 more pages.) Here are some of my considerations:

• I wondered if I could transcribe the whole chart in UEB, but decided I could not since the last column has segmented numbers.
    • I wondered if I should transcribe the whole chart in Nemeth, but wasn't sure how to deal with the repeated column headings.
    • My test using Nemeth Code switch indicators in the last column fits!

So please tell me if I'm on the right track. I'm open to any corrections to my thinking and any suggestions.

Laurie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Laurie,

Keep on brailling on! Thank you for asking for input on your challenging project. I do not envy the work you have to do in order to make consistent and clear decisions about code switching (or not switching) for computer commands, IP addresses, and large charts.

For the Binary/Hex/Decimal Conversion Chart you specifically asked about, your test transcription does tidily include all the print information. And I agree wholeheartedly that your segmented binary numbers should be in Nemeth Code.

Inconveniently, I would say that all numbers from non-decimal bases should be inside code switch indicators, because the Nemeth Code includes explicit and specific rules about transcribing non-decimal base number systems (see NC §13). ... It does seem that the best transcription of the Chart in question would put all of the table into Nemeth Code.

I think that in order to transcribe in Nemeth Code all the rows but not the columns of a multi-page table in strict accordance with the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts you would have to terminate Nemeth Code on line 25 of each page and reopen it following the column separation lines. However, there is an argument to be made that you could open Nemeth Code in the chart's opening box line, uncontract all your column headings (perhaps shortening them to "Decimal" "Hexadecimal" and "Binary"), and terminate Nemeth Code in the chart's closing box line.

Looking forward to your further questions as you continue to work through this book,
    Kyle

braillebud
    Participant

Thank you Kyle. I especially appreciate the reference to the NC rule. (Something I'd long ago forgotten.)

Since the hexadecimal column must be in NC I think I'll try the switches in the box lines method you suggested. Inconvenient pretty much describes what transcribing that middle column will be! Oh boy.

Laurie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.