New Volume

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,
    I am brailling a literary book. It is necessary for me to break for a new volume in the middle of a chapter. My problem is that the chapters in this book do not have titles. The new chapters are indicated by a series of asterisks. Usually when I would start a new volume in the middle of a chapter I would begin the new volume with the name of the chapter and the word (continued) in parenthesis after it. I am unsure how to indicate this in this situation.
    I am breaking the volume at a point in the chapter where there is a blank line separating major thought and location in the story. Should I begin the new volume by skipping the line after the running head and proceeding from there, or should I center the word Continued and treat it as a Centered Heading?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated since I cannot find this situation addressed in EBAE 1994 or in the Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing Fifth Edition 2009.
    Thank You,
    Mary Hubbard

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Mary,

Sorry I did not get to this sooner. I was out of state and did not check Expert while I was gone. Lesson 19.7 of the Instruction Manual talks about volume size and division. Lesson 19.6 discusses chapter titles and how volume division can be made when a braille volume ends in the middle of the chapter.

I hope this helps.

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info,
    I reviewed Lesson 19.6 and 19.7 before I wrote for assistance. It really doesn't address this particular situation, where there are no chapter titles or headings, only asterisks.
    I chose to begin the new volume using the "Part Number" centered, followed by the "Part Title" centered, followed by 3 asterisks (Cont.). I had used the 3 asterisks to identify new chapters throughout the book, so I figured this was the closest I could get to the information I found in the manuals.
    Thank you again for your input.
    Mary Hubbard

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Mary,

I think your solution was approriate. Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

Jana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.