NIMAS File Conversion Training

Home Forums Computer-Assisted Transcription NIMAS File Conversion Training

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Erin Rainey
    Participant

I am now in a position where transcribing textbooks using NIMAS files will be a large part of my job.  My employer has provided both Duxbury and BrailleBlaster as transcription technology tools.  I am looking for resources and training where I can learn the process I should use.  Once I know what the process looks like, I’ll be good to go.  Right now I download a file and am overwhelmed at the amount of clean-up and formatting that is necessary.  I need someone who can tell me what I can expect (i.e., estimate of how long I can expect to spend on a text, which parts to do first, last, etc.).  Any suggestions or assistance would be MUCH appreciated.  Right now I feel like I’ve just been hired as a chef but I don’t even know how to turn on the oven!  Thank you.

Janice L. Carroll
    Participant

Braille Blaster will open a NIMAS file (.xml) and allow you to format and translate.  Duxbury will not open a large NIMAS (xml) file.  Duxbury created NIMPRO which is their pre-processor for NIMAS files and works in tandem with DBT and WORD swift add-in.

Both translation software programs, DBT and Braille Blaster, will allow you to divide large textbooks into workable volumes.

For training with Braille Blaster I would contact the American Printing House for the Blind. I would google search APH Braille Blaster.  They have a link to sign up for training.  For NIMPRO/DBT training you should contact Duxbury Support.

Melissa Klepper

It sounds like you have embarked on a territory that requires quite a bit of braille formats training. NIMAS files are extremely useful tools in which to begin transcribing a textbook, however, as a transcriber, there is quite a bit more involved than simply opening a file into a braille translation software. Managing a textbook transcription can be a daunting task, for even the most experienced (certified) braille transcriber. You are absolutely correct, there is a great deal of clean up required. The translation software will open the file and translate most of the text into a clean braille translation, but formatting experience is a must for proper transcription of a textbook. If you have not downloaded Principles of Print to Braille Translation, 2016, I strongly suggest you do so. The formats book is a guide for transcribers to use to format textbooks. This book is free to download from BANA (Braille Authority of North America). The guidelines may be downloaded from the following link: http://www.brailleauthority.org/publications-area.html. The BANA website is a wealth of information. Not only can you find code books, but there are endless documents on UEB (Unified English Braille). Nemeth, Foreign Language etc. Are you literary certified? If not, a literary certification is where you should begin. The National Federation of the Blind offers Literary Braille Transcribing Courses and certification, and this is where you should begin your process. The link to NFB Literary Braille Transcribing Course is: https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/braille-certification/literary-braille-transcribing.

Posting your question on the NBA website is a huge step in the right direction. Are you needing training? NBA offers on-site, personalized training upon request. There is an online form under the What We Do tab on the home page of the NBA website main page. You can find the form under Training Bureau Inquiries.

As a member of the NBA, you can also access the full Webinars Archive. You will be able to view videos of short trainings on various aspects of braille: Braille Formats, Foreign Language, Nemeth, Music, Tactile Graphics, UEB and more. Members can access the Webinars by going to the NBA Homepage and clicking on the Resources tab. From there, just find Webinars and the appropriate category that interests you. I hope this has enlightened you and just know that we are always here to offer advice and assistance. Please let me know if you need further guidance. I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Margaret/ Bergman
    Participant

I am also converting a NIMAS file with BrailleBlaster. I can do the basics without issue (covered in free webinars). I am struggling with publisher formatting that will not disappear in the braille. Is there someone who uses NIMAS with BrailleBlaster that might be able to assist me with this issue?

Thanks!

alohabraille

Good morning Margaret,

The engineers of Braille Blaster ask the following questions: What version of BrailleBlaster is it? What specific formatting are they concerned with? Is it blank lines, a particular style, or is it braille characters?

Also, you can send Braille Blaster questions directly to their customer service queue. cs@aph.org.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.