NIMAS files-when

Home Forums Computer-Assisted Transcription NIMAS files-when

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I wondered about how soon it will be that most will be working with NIMAS files. I haven't yet learned anything about them. I know the AFB website has a self-paced online course available about them. I believe the software translation products are still in beta testing versions in terms of working with NIMAS files.
    I have done some transcribing work for a few different agencies, and they have always sent me either PDF files or Word files.
    I was mainly wondering about how important it is now to have a version of software that can deal with NIMAS files. Is it likely to be perhaps up to 5 years from now until they will be commonplace and used a lot, or will the transition be happening sooner?
    Thanks.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Many transcribers are already working with NIMAS files. Mega Dots and Duxbury already deal with NIMAS; perhaps now and then there are a few "bugs". I am not sure where Braille 2000's version stands right now. So it is important to have software that can deal with NIMAS files. It is also important to know how to use the software in conjuction with the NIMAS files. I haven't yet gone to the AFB website but that might be a good place to start. Then look for braille conferences that have workshops on NIMAS. Also contact the manufacturers and see what they have available. There are books now that have NIMAS files now and there will be more every year.

dustbuster
    Participant

Can somebody send the link for the AFB website and the self-paced NIMAS online course? I searched the AFB website but could not find
    the NIMAS course.
    Thank you,
    Linda

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.