Notation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am sending an example of a page in a Science book (p78). My question is how is the red line under 150,000 Hz represented in braille. I am also sending an example in a publication called Nemeth Oddities showing this problem (p15). It looks like a punctuation indicator and dots 126 were used to indicate the movement of the line to where the decimal point should be. Are dots 126 a caret sign? My line goes in the other direction. How is this indicated in Nemeth?
    Thanks,
    Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Susan
    I personally believe that these examples should be shown in braille as a tactile graphic. I will also attach a suggestion made in the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, where these arrows are used in conjunction with a number line. Whether their purpose is to indicate the decimal movement, or whether it is to indicate skip counting on a number line, I do not think that a transcriber's note or braille indicators adequately show the concept being taught in print.
    Betty

betty.marshall
    Participant

[quote=betty.marshall]Hi Susan
    I personally believe that these examples should be shown in braille as a tactile graphic. I will also attach a suggestion made in the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, where these arrows are used in conjunction with a number line. Whether their purpose is to indicate the decimal movement, or whether it is to indicate skip counting on a number line, I do not think that a transcriber's note or braille indicators adequately show the concept being taught in print.
    Betty[/quote]

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for your input Betty. I was told by another transcriber that she alway presents this informatio as a graphic.
    Susan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.