Number before Function

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Number before Function

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am transcribing a math book in Nemeth. Because I am not "mathematically" skilled in Trigonometry, I am not sure
    of the correct way to braille a number that immediately preceeds a function abbreviation. Should there be a space between the
    number and the abbreviation or should there be no space. Print shows a space, but everything I can find shows no space.
    Nemeth Code, Intro. to Braille Mathematics, the internet, all show the preceding number and the function without a space.
    Just not sure if I should follow print, or if it is "assumed" that the number and function should
    be brailled without a space.
    Thanks in advance.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Is this what you are looking for?

On page 226 of An Introduction to Braille Mathematics Section 145:

No space should be left before a function name or its abbreviation unless it iis preceded by a symbol requiring a space.

(21) shows an example of a space in print.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Print copy often spaces terms and symbols in an equation or expression. In braille we follow Nemeth Code spacing rules. Do not space between the numeral and the function name or abbreviated function name which follows.
    A space is required following the function name/abbreviation and its modifications, if any, as explained and illustrated in the Nemeth Codebook, Sec.119.

--Lindy Walton (answering for Dorothy)

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you both. Just what I wanted.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.