Number lines

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    smart_10357
    Participant

Hi,

I was reading in UEB Technical page 28 that a well executed raised line drawing will generally be more readable that a diagram using braille cell patterns.

My question I see where in Technical Guidelines I see examples of number lines and how to make them in braille patterns. I am showing two examples from the book I am formatting to see if you think these should be tactile raised line graphics or braille cell patterns.

Thanks,

Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Susan,

For number lines, which are a way of representing spatially the relationships between numbers, a tactile graphic (or raised line drawing) is best.

Since both we and the Guidelines for Technical Material exist in the real world, where tactile graphics can be prohibitively expensive and time-consuming, tactile graphics are NOT THE ONLY way to transcribe a number line. We could use line mode to "draw" number lines with braille cells, as long as we're careful to use the appropriate indicators (arrow mode, line modes, numeric indicators, etc.) so that the braille reader is alterted when something represents a line to be "traced" and not a symbols-sequence to be "read." Nonetheless, it is BETTER TO DRAW number lines 99% of the time, including your examples.

Does that address your concern?

–Kyle

smart_10357
    Participant

Yes thank you. We made these into tactile graphics.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.