number lines within blank verse

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook number lines within blank verse

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Janice Taylor
    Participant

Hello, I am working on Romeo and Juliet that is within a textbook. It is written in blank verse so I am thinking I should use a 1-5, 3-5 format for each speaker. Number lines are indicated every 5 lines. There are also footnotes.
    1. Am I correct in using this format rather than using 3 blank cells to indicate the next line? That would mean I would look at the print line and determine from that when I would move from 1-5 to 3-5.
    2. Am I correct that the margin on the right should end two cells before the line number for that particular braille page and that if there are not line numbers on a particular page it would continue to the end of the line? (This is happening due to footnotes)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

1. Sample 14-8: Verse Play applies to this situation. Formats 14.6 says the first line of poetic dialog is 1-5 with additional lines by the same speaker in 3-5.
    2. See Formats 15.5. In poetry (and plays in verse) only the line numbers shown in print (in this case every 5 lines) are shown in braille. ALL the poetic lines observe the required right margin.

However, the note section at the end of the print page uses the entire braille line and does not observe that right margin. See Formats 16.4.1g.

ALL the numbered lines observe the right margin whether a specific line actually shows a number. The notes do not.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thank you Joanna
    I appreciate the time you spend answering our questions.

Janice

Janice Taylor
    Participant

My pleasure. The questions are the only reason I know anything at all! So happy to hear that the answers help.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.