Numbered TG Key and Nemeth within UEB

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Numbered TG Key and Nemeth within UEB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kdejute

A question submitted via email:

I have a couple of questions relating to tactile graphics, keys & Nemeth encapsulation. I have a graphic that has modified numbers with abbreviations that need to be represented as keys due to space to key in the items. I created the keys for the text inside the diagram. The text above and to the right (10 cm) I keyed in as UEB. My first question is this:

1. If there are keys created in Nemeth does the whole tactile need to be encapsulated in Nemeth or can the keys only be in Nemeth?
    2. Can number keys be used to represent items in a tactile if the number is not going to conflict with the meaning of another number?

Please see the examples I have included for your review in order to help answer my questions.

If you have a preferred way of creating keys instead of using number keys please let me know.

Thank you for your time and clarification concerning this issue.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Thank you for your questions and for the examples.

To your first question: When a key is created in Nemeth, the whole tactile should be encapsulated in Nemeth. This is in accordance 1) with §5.7.2 of Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics 2010, which says, "The texture, symbol, or key used in the graphic must be an exact match to that used in the key listing." and 2) with a preference to reduce the number of switch indicators used in a transcription (i.e., better to have the whole graphic in Nemeth than to enclose individual labels within switch indicators within the graphic.)

So, I believe your Example 2 is technically correct.

To your second question: To the best of my knowledge, within Nemeth Code a numeric key can be used to represent items in a tactile graphic even when numbers that are not part of the numeric key are also used in that tactile graphic. See §187 of the Nemeth Code, which does not prohibit the use of a numeric key in the presence of other numbers. Nonetheless, I would consider using an alphabetic key instead of a numeric key in your tangram examples. I hope that using a key like sv, fi, tf, and wf instead of ⠼⠁, ⠼⠃, ⠼⠉, and ⠼⠙ would help the reader avoid mistaking a numeric key value for a measurement value.

Either way, I applaud your question and your approach to keying; they are thoughtful without being overdone.

–Kyle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.