Numeric mode terminated on runover line

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Numeric mode terminated on runover line

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LaVerne Blaasse
    Participant

OK, I have this equation, which I have attached, and I am splitting the first fraction before the fraction line to a run-over line, as the whole fraction will not fit on one line. Since the denominator begins with an x superscript 2, do I need the grade 1 indicator before the superscript or does numeric mode continue (even though the rule states it is terminated by a space). I guess I am wondering if this run-over line  is considered a "space" for the purpose of the numeric mode terminating. Thanks so much for your time in answering this!!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

LaVerne,

*** Changed later – SEE 4/21/2020 POST IN THIS THREAD ***

That is well summarized question: Is a runover line considered a "space?" The answer is no. As illustrated in the first long numeral example on page 60 of the Rules of UEB, transition to a new braille line does not terminate the effects of a numeric indicator. In other words, the numeric mode and the grade 1 mode established by a numeric indicator continue through a braille line break. They survive being run over!

Thank you for the question.
    –Kyle

LaVerne Blaasse
    Participant

Kyle, YOU ARE AWESOME - One more question, I am looking at page 60 UEB and they use a dot 5 at the end of the line to show the continuation, would I? Attached is the file and how I did it. But if I put a dot 5 at the end of line 1 I do not need to put the grade 1 before the superscript?

Attachments:
    kdejute

You do not need a dot 5, because it is clear that your runover line is a continuation of the expression that started on the previous line. A dot 5 continuation indicator is only necessary "in the unlikely case where the two portions [of an expression] could be read as two separate expressions" as the Guidelines for Technical Material say (1.4.3).

With or without a continuation indicator, you do *not* need a grade 1 indicator in your runover line. In both of the items you included as attachments, the grade 1 mode established by a numeric indicator continues across a braille line break (again, with or without a continuation indicator this is true).

Thank you for asking a clarifying question.
    –Kyle

LaVerne Blaasse
    Participant

Thank you again, Kyle.

Braille On!!!

kdejute

Braille on!

,y >e "o ,,,h>d"w+ brl transcrib]6,'

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by kdejute. Reason: Added note in simbraille
    kdejute

I must change my response!

In fact, the numeric-mode-initiated grade 1 is terminated by a line break. See the clarification of this rule in #5 of the "Provisional Guidance on Transcribing Mathematics in UEB" (quoted below).

Note that, in the case of an expression that is divided over more than one line, the end of a braille line counts as a braille space unless the dot 5 continuation indicator is used.

Nonetheless, a line continuation indicator (dot 5) is not most appropriate here, because it is clear that your runover line is a continuation of the expression that started on the previous line. To use a dot 5 continuation indicator would be overkill and probably confusing for the braille reader.

So, for the print in your first post, I would now recommend the following transcription as being the most accurate and easy-to-read.

⠰⠰⠰⠷⠭⠔⠼⠃⠐⠖⠼⠑⠭⠐⠖⠼⠙⠨⠌⠭⠔⠼⠃⠐⠖⠼⠋⠭⠐⠖⠼⠓⠾

⠀⠀⠐⠌⠷⠭⠔⠼⠃⠐⠖⠼⠃⠭⠐⠤⠼⠁⠑⠨⠌⠭⠔⠼⠃⠐⠤⠭⠐⠤⠼⠋⠾⠰⠄

–Kyle

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by kdejute. Reason: make double quotes in example braille cells and not print quotation marks
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by kdejute. Reason: Added simbraille example (in addition to Unicode braille example)
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by kdejute. Reason: removed simbraille example
    Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.