Numeric subscripts in fractions and radicals

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Numeric subscripts in fractions and radicals

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    shawngreiner
    Participant

I have read sections §77 and §79 over and over again and the wording has me a little confused. Does §77.iii apply to this situation: I have a numeric subscript to an abbreviation which is the numerator in a fraction which is part of a square root radical. (See attachment)

I really just want to know if I need to use the subscript indicator here before the subscript numeral 2 and then the baseline indicator before the horizontal fraction line. Whatever your answer is, please explain why in simple layman's terms. I continue sometimes to be confused by the language used in the rule books.

Also, as an aside, I have been using the ELI and the double caps indicator before the abbreviation SD (Standard Deviation) [see same attachment]. I am convinced that I read that rule correctly, but I would like to have some confirmation from the "expert" since the language issue comes up again and again with the rule books.

Someday I hope to see a new rule book with UEB in it and also simpler language that does not require jumping through hoops to figure out. Also some of these types of examples would be great so we could see more of the code used.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Greetings, Shawn! Thank you for the question.

Nemeth Code section 77.iii (about non-use of the subscript indicator) does not apply to your situation, because the abbreviation SD (Standard Deviation) is neither a "letter which has a separate identity" nor "a two-letter abbreviation for a chemical compound". The abbreviation SD for Standard Deviation is a two-letter abbreviation for a concept or value. So, you do need to use the subscript indicator before the subscript numeral 2 that applies to SD. Similarly, you do need to use the subscript indicator before the subscript numeral 2 that applies to the abbreviation SS and then the baseline indicator before the horizontal fraction line that follows it.

We could say that any abbreviation other than a two-letter chemical compound or a function name does not satisfy the Nemeth Code criteria for omitting a subscript indicator.

In addition, you do need an English letter indicator before the abbreviation SD, because it is an abbreviation that corresponds to a shortform word and is not followed by a period. You're doing it riiiiiight!

I too look forward to an updated rule book with UEB in it and possibly more examples.

Cheers!
    –Kyle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.