Omission represented by a square box

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Omission represented by a square box

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sshreck
    Participant

I posted this on Tactile Graphics, but I thought I may get an answer here also.
    Tactile Guidelines says for K-3rd grade, when a square box is shown as a sign of omission that we are to show this as a tactile.
    Is this also true when the box is within an equation? The concern is how to line this up properly within an equation.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    sshreck
    Participant

Yes, according to GUIDELINES AND STANDARDS FOR TACTILE GRAPHICS Section 11.2.4 (copied below), a tactile graphic is required when a square box (or other shape) is shown as a sign of omission in an equation in K-3 materials.

Section 11.2.4 states: "For readers in kindergarten through grade 3, do not use the shape indicator (i.e., edc for circle) to represent objects. Shapes should be shown as tactile graphics."

Note: It is not appropriate to replace the shape with the Nemeth general omission symbol. Not only does this practice break Nemeth Rule X, Sec.57, but in K-3 materials print will often show different shapes as hints to the meaning of the omitted item. For example, a square shape may indicate that a numeral is required, a circle shape may represent a missing comparison sign, etc.

You can determine the number of blank lines to allow for the amount of vertical space needed by using an embossed page as a measuring template.

Also note Section 11.2.1: "Graphics for young readers should be produced using uncomplicated area textures and clean strong lines. Solid shapes are more easily recognized than are outline shapes."

And Section 11.2.5 "In materials for readers in grade 4 and above, a tactile graphic is preferred, but braille dot graphics may be used, including ... shape indicators."

Read GUIDELINES AND STANDARDS FOR TACTILE GRAPHICS UNIT 11 "Graphics for Early Grades" for more information.

--Lindy Walton (Committee Member)
    edited by Lindy on 10/5/2011

Lindy Walton

Lindy,
    We are using the Tactile Guidelines for the project we are working on, The Common Core National Standards. We also looked at the example you are talking about and this situation is not exactly an equation because there are no comparison and computation symbols used. They are using just the words. That is why were looking for direction about this. We have received materials that are being done by an agency that are experts in this situation and when an equation was used they did not use the tactile box. The shape indicator was used. I am wondering if this is done only in a testing situation.

sshreck
    Participant

It is difficult to offer advice without a print copy. Can you attach an example?

sshreck
    Participant

I have attached a sample worksheet.

Lindy Walton

The example you provide shows a page of spatially arranged addition problems, with missing digits appearing as squares. Section 58 of the Nemeth Code prohibits the use of shape symbols in work arranged spatially for computation. Only the general omission symbol may be used (dots 123456). As far as I know, Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics does not prohibit the use of the general omission symbol in K-3 materials. Note also that the number of general omission symbols to be used must be the same as the number of omission signs which occur in print. In your example, item 5 will show two general omission symbols in the missing answer.

--Lindy

Lindy Walton

Lindy,
    I attached the wrong file. I am looking for the other one.

sshreck
    Participant

This is the type of equation we are talking about.

Lindy Walton

Although the "Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics" is dated 2010, I believe it was not released in its final form until July of 2011, and only as a web version. As far as I know, the hardcopy supplement with tactile examples is not yet available. My previous post did not refer you to any examples, just to the written guidelines in the web version of the guidelines, so I am wondering if we are looking at different resources?

If I am understanding the new guidelines correctly, the example you recently posted (Squares-1) should be brailled using tactile squares. Perhaps the materials you received from another agency were prepared before the Guidelines were released. When braille rules change in the middle of a project we are advised to complete the project using the old rules.

The BANA Tactile Graphics Committee invites your questions -- you can write to them by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page found here: http://www.brailleauthority.org/tg/index.html

--Lindy

Lindy Walton

I was referencing the Counting Symbols example in Tactile Guidelines. It shows the square shape drawn as a tactile box.

sshreck
    Participant

Aha! Now I see the braille example by clicking on the link at the end of the COUNTING SYMBOLS Section (6.8).
    Note that the second bulleted comment says that the open squares should be big enough to include a possible braille answer. Alignment and spacing in a double-spaced context is shown in the example.
    Has your question been answered?

sshreck
    Participant

I submitted the question to the BANA Tactile committee. I will let you know what they say. Thanks for your help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.