Omission signs

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Omission signs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Hello,
    I have second grade material to transcribe. They want it in UEB but with the Nemeth provision guidelines. I have two questions, both dealing with omission signs.

First question: In the attached document where I have arrowed toward the bottom, I am thinking that I have to use the UEB omission sign (the dot 346) for the blanks under the counting blocks, because there are words (column headings) in the table headings and I think I can't use the opening nemeth indicator preceding the top table line because of the words. Is this correct thinking? and it if is, because the omission sign would be the plus sign in nemeth, will this be confusing?

Second question: I have later problems of equations, such as 56+100 = ----
    Is the double dash (36, 36, 36, 36) now obsolete, even if the problem was preceded and followed by the nemeth indicators, meaning I would have to use the UEB long dash or underscore? And if so, would I still put my ending nemeth indicator after the UEB dashes?

Thank you very much for your help.
    Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Answer from Kyle DeJute, Chair of the NBA Mathematics Braille Committee

Good day, Susan.

Thank you for your questions.

In response to your first question: Please do not use the UEB symbol for visible space (dots 346), because it comes from the UEB Guidelines for Technical Material, which should be avoided when creating a UEB-with-Nemeth transcription. Instead, I would suggest using the skeleton table format (Braille Formats, 2011 section 11.9.1.d), substituting the UEB low line (dots 46, 36) for the EBAE dash to indicate blanks to be filled. Use the same layout for the skeleton "hundreds-tens-ones" table that you use for the first, fully filled one.

In response to your second question: Within begin/end Nemeth indicators, you should use the double dash (36, 36, 36, 36) according to the Nemeth code book. UEB symbols are not used within Nemeth indicators, and Nemeth symbols are not used outside the confines of begin/end Nemeth indicators. So, for your equations later on in the book, I would use the following:

[braille]_% #56+100 .k ---- _:

Thank you again for your astute and well thought out questions.

dworthing
    Participant

Thank you so much for your guidance.
    Susan

kdejute

I'm glad to be of service, Susan. Thank you for asking.

–Kyle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.