Omissions in fractions for 3rd grader

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Omissions in fractions for 3rd grader

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Good morning!

Please look at the attachment where I have starred in pink.  This is for a third grader who is fairly new to braille and is learning math with UEB code.  As you can see, the omissions in the fractions are either shown with blank spaces or boxes. There are quite a few of these in his packet.  I believe the rules would have me NOT use the simple fraction construction (numeric indicator, numerator, simple fraction line, denominator) because of the omissions.  But, from what I gather from his TVI, I think the complex fraction construction would present too much of a challenge at this point.  Do you have any suggestions of how I could stay as close to the code as possible while taking student's literacy level into consideration?

Thank you.

Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Susan,

You are quite right that any fraction with a sign of omission *does not* qualify as a simple numeric fraction (GTM 6.1, also the Bulletin article "Fractions: What are their symbols and rules?," in the 2020 Fall edition).

Really, the only correct way to transcribe the fractions you've highlighted is using the UEB general fraction indicators and line (GTM 6.4). ( ) and ./

Maaaybe, for this specific student only, you could use the general fraction line and not the general fraction indicators?? This would be a one-student-only accommodation.

–Kyle

Susan Baker
    Participant

That is a super idea of how to individualize these fractions for this specific student. Thank you so much. 🙂

Susan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.