Omissions in tables

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Omissions in tables

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Hello!

I am transcribing this test in UEB with Nemeth.  In this table, I have an opening Nemeth indicator on the line prior to the row headings with the angle measures and have the closing Nemeth indicator at the end of the table.  Under the column headings "Angle Relationship" and "Supplementary, ...", I believe I need to use the Nemeth general omission indicators (full cell) to indicate a blank space indicates an answer is required, instead of a series of guide dots across the width of a column.  Even though the answer that is being requested would be in words, it is because the Nemeth Code is in effect that I would use the general omission indicators. Is this thinking correct?  I am having trouble laying my hands on actual code sections to corroborate this, and sure appreciate your help. Thank you.

Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi, Susan.

Blank space in a Nemeth table does present a dilemma to the transcriber.

Yes, inside the switches, you use Nemeth symbols when the missing or blank entry is printed as a dash, underscore, etc. But when it is blank space, we are now suggesting that you follow Braille Formats and fill out the width of the column with guide dots (dot 5's). It doesn't matter if the blank space indicates a missing answer, or if it represents "no entry". By simply representing the blank entry with guide dots, you will not need to decide whether or not that space is to be filled in with an answer.

A transcriber's note is required to tell the reader that "A series of guide dots across the width of the column indicates a blank space." You don't need to say "a blank space to be filled in". You are just playing it as it lays.

Note that guide dots can appear inside a Nemeth table without needing to switch codes. Just like page change indicators, box lines, and column separation lines, guide dots can occur in either code.

- Lindy

Susan Baker
    Participant

Oh, I am so glad I asked! Thank you very much.

Susan Baker

Susan Baker
    Participant

Just a follow up question to make sure I am understanding... Say that there is a typical  -x -y table where blanks are to be filled in with numbers and there are no print omission signs.  Is the recommendation for this for UEB with Nemeth is again, the series of guide dots across the width of the column, instead of the full cell general omission indicator?

Thank you.

Susan

Lindy Walton

I'm glad you asked this question. Are you talking about a table of values for graphing? And one that is completely blank except for the x and y headings? I suppose your transcription would depend on the intended use. In a textbook or a classroom situation, I would omit the table and insert a transcriber's note instructing the reader to create a table of values. When transcribing an exam, as you are doing, I would be more clear about what exactly is on the page. Especially if this is one showing empty fields for inserting data using a computer, which is how many exams are given nowadays.

Empty tables of values don't generally indicate how many values are to be inserted. If it is clear that, say, four x and four y values are to be inserted, then you could use a general omission symbol to indicate each missing value. I think that makes more sense than inserting two guide dots.

- Lindy

Susan Baker
    Participant

Thank you, Lindy!  I like how you've not only answered my questions, but also given me additional information as well.

Susan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.