Order of Punctuation and Composition Signs

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Order of Punctuation and Composition Signs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    omh847
    Participant

Can you tell me if there is an Order of Punctuation and Composition Signs in UEB as there was in EBAE, or do we just follow print.  This week, in a work I was proofing for someone in our group, there is an incidence where a quotation is italicized.  In the book, it appears that the opening quotation mark is italicized. My question is - does the Italic passage indicator come before or after the opening quotation mark?  If following print, it would preceed the opening quotation mark, however I can't seem to locate a definitive reference.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mary

Lynda
    Spectator

In the ICEB rule book §9.7 discusses placement of typeform symbols with punctuation. In your case, the italic passage indicator should come before the opening quotation mark (since it is italicized).

NOTE: If the quotation mark were not italicized, the typeform indicator would come after the quotation mark (§9.72).

claurent

You should follow print.  Keep in mind the rules about nesting.  For instance...if you had the phrase

(What time is it?)

The open italics passage indicator would precede the opening paren. and follow the closing paren. (Nesting the parens inside the typeform indicators).

Cindi

omh847
    Participant

Thank you.  This helps. I'll pass it on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.