page change indicator

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook page change indicator

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In this book I am transcribing it has happened twice. A word ending in "-ing" is being divided in print
    across two pages. This client I am brailling for wants me to braille it according to 1997 rules. I seem to
    remember(vaguely) something about this, but I cannot find it. I doesn't seem right to hang a single cell starting
    the new page with dots 3,4, and 6. Should or can I braille the whole word on the preceding page and start
    the new page with the next word.?

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is really a literary question and you need to check with the Literary expert. Questions dealing with dot and word formation are their bailiwick.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

You do not use print page numbers in literary. This client is asking
    me to braille this book according to textbook rules. I need to know
    how to braille words that are divided "in print" across two pages. Do
    I maintain the integrity of the print and braille the word as I find it
    in print, or make the word whole on one of the two pages.

Lynnette
    Participant

I understand that you are using the 1997 textbook format rules for your transcription.
    You actually have 2 separate questions: one Textbook and one Literary.

The first question being: Should the word be divided between print pages?
    Agencies usually make their own decisions about that issue, but if you really need to follow the rules then you find the answer sort of hidden in a section you would probably never think to check.
    1997 Formats Rule 1 sect. 13a(3)tells us "... end the braille text with the last word shown on the preceding print page. [u]Follow copy when a word is divided between pages."[/u]

Now for question 2. Can the 'ing' contraction be used when a word is divided between lines or pages?
    If you do decide to divide the word between pages, you'll find that answer in EBAE.
    EBAE Rule XII.38.a tells us "... [u]'ing' ... may be used at the beginning of a line in a divided word.[/u]

Hope that helps to clear things up.
    Saralyn

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.