Percent sign in Java

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Percent sign in Java

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CarmenG
    Participant

I'm working on a project that is UEB w/Nemeth.

The percent sign is used in Java when the desired data is the remainder after two numbers are divided.  Quite often I'm transcribing number % number such as  5%4.  I'm worrying about the percent sign (ending in a lower cell) followed by a number (in a lower cell).  It just looks kind of hard to interpret.  I haven't found a rule that says to use a number indicator when a number follows a percent sign.  Am I worrying needlessly?  Does it look okay to you with no number indicator in front of the 4?  Also, I'm brailling this unspaced around the percent sign since it's being presented along with the plus, minus, asterisk for multiplication, and slash for division.  Maybe I'm wrong to transcribe it unspaced.

#5@04

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Carmen

Lindy Walton

Hi Carmen.

I'm not quite sure what to say. If you are transcribing Javascript, you should be using UEB. Computer notation does not use Nemeth Code. Can you send an image of what you are dealing with?

Thanks.

- Lindy

CarmenG
    Participant

Thanks for looking at this, Lindy.  The book was requested in UEB w/Nemeth.  I wish telling the requester that Nemeth in a book that teaches computer code wasn't an option!

I've attached a couple of pages that have examples of the percent sign followed by a number.   I will say that having just finished transcribing this chapter NOT putting a number indicator after the percent sign, I'm finding my ability to read it as a percent sign followed by a number has smoothed out.  I'm not sure that there's a really good answer here.  Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Carmen

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

I will run this by the BANA Nemeth committee and see what they have to say about the unspaced numeral following a percent symbol.

I'm sorry that your expertise as a Nemeth transcriber is not being respected here -- you should not be transcribing the computer notation in Nemeth.

Lindy Walton

Here is our recommendation.

As mentioned before, computer code should not be transcribed in Nemeth. But since your client insists, it would be better to use the old Computer Braille Code for the computer text. This would be an interesting mix of UEB, Nemeth, and CBC, and is not standard practice, but we feel it would be better than trying to wrestle Nemeth Code within the computer language. You would precede and follow the computer notation with the "non-UEB" code switch indicators. See Section 14 of the Rules of Unified English Braille.

IF you continue to transcribe the computer notation in Nemeth, the number following the percent symbol needs to be identified as a numeral, so a numeric indicator should be inserted.

Let me know if further problems arise.

- Lindy Walton

CarmenG
    Participant

Thank you so much, Lindy.  This gives me something to work with!

Carmen

Lindy Walton

You are very welcome! I forgot to mention that, if you use CBC, you should cite it on the Transcriber's Notes page as follows:

Computer Braille Code, Revised 2000, 2010 Update

and you should mention on the Special Symbols page that the non-UEB code switch indicators are switching to that code.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.