Phonics and spelling

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Phonics and spelling

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Cindy,

I would like some input on my interpretation of Formats applied to the following excerpt from a phonics book. Here the student is asked to determine via hearing an "ar" sound. Then s/he writes the word and then circles the letters making that sound. Here is the excerpt:

B. Read each sentence. Underline the word with the /är/ sound.
    Write the word on the line. Circle the letters that spell the /är/sound.
    1. The artist made a painting of a landscape.       artist_ (uncontracted with the ar circled
    2. The postcard was sent last week from Germany.
    3. The leaves need to be raked in the backyard.
    4. There is a coffee stain on the carpet.
    5. They will harvest the crops soon.
    6. We planted beans and radishes in our garden.

In the book, sentence 1 is used as an example, the first underlined word artist is contracted in braille, and the word written above the line at the end of the sentence is uncontracted. I have a note on the TN page that words written on the line follow the underscore in parentheses (following an example in formats). Here's what I have:

tn Circled letters are bolded. tn

1. The artist made a painting of a landscape.   _ (artist)
    2. The postcard was sent last week from Germany.
    3. The leaves need to be raked in the backyard.
    4. There is a coffee stain on the carpet.
    5. They will harvest the crops soon.
    6. We planted beans and radishes in our garden.

So, my question is: What needs to be uncontracted? The only words I have uncontracted are those in sentence 1, the 2 words "artist." My reason is that the main emphasis is on "hearing" with spelling incidental, because the student is already aware of the contraction for "ar" in that most of this book is contracted and can easily write the answer uncontracted. I would expect the student would follow the example and write their choice uncontracted and then indicate the letters.

Another point is that the sentences is the "original" source material and the words written on a line are "additions." This means that in the example the underlinded word should be transcribed the same as surrounding text in the original. Then, that means that the original sentences are either ALL contracted or ALL uncontracted.

Thanks, Fred

claurent

Not seeing the whole book, take what I say with a grain of salt 🙂

Just looking at this example: the underline used for the word at the end of the sentence should be omitted...it's a blank to be filled in  and those are omitted per BF. The underlining within the first sentence is, or course, retained. I would contract everything because it is about the sound. A reader knows that the contraction ar stands for the two letters....if only ONE of the letters was to be circled, that would be different... I would also say that BF addresses words enclosed in shapes (use transcriber-defined typeform indicators). In this instance, I would NOT keep the circle, I would do a TN that says, "In the answer for the first sentence, the letters ar are circled" or maybe "The first sentence is done for you; the letters ar in artist are circled."

Cindi

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Cindi,

Here is one final question to add to the queue. Files brf and doc have been uploaded.

In A #1. Word choices are left in horizontal format because the question refers to rows. If the directions called for underlining parts then I put the word with emphasis in parentheses following the list.
    In B #1. Sentences that have underlined words with blank lines at end.

But in A, the sample has the answer above a write on line at the end. I put a note on the TN page to ignore lines after sentences and the word also since the answer is given by underlining, UNLESS the word needs emphasis then it is added in parentheses as in B. In all cases I've used contractions where convenient.

I think this may be the last piece of the puzzle for this book.
    I have contacted the client with these questions and responses for their input as to any Agency Decision they may like to make or add.

Again, thanks,
    Fred

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

I am not understanding what your question is...please clarify 🙂

Cindi

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Cindi,

I was showing you how I formatted the page via the uploaded files and was "pointing to" the underlines and answer blanks with words above them. There are some emphasized answers (with underlined letters); I explained in a TN that they were retained to show the underlined letters and all other answers not emphasized were omitted since the word was already underlined in the sample.

So the question really is, is this the correct way to do these exercises?

Fred

claurent

There is no TN under B in the braille...

I assume the TN on the TN page explains the parens around include as well...it's a little hard to tell from your notes above.

The basic exercise format is correct. As for the rest, there are no specific rules that apply, but I think you've come up with a workable solution applying the rules where you can and making modifications where there are no rules. Another suggestion (which would require a TN) is to use italics, bold or some type of grouping indicator for the letters within the answer word include.

Cindi

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.