Photo Credits located in the Table of Contents

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Photo Credits located in the Table of Contents

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

After a careful search in the Braille Formats of Principles of Print-to-Braille Transcription, 2011, we could not find any such directive to OMIT Photo Credits located in the Table of Contents and Back Matter. Can you please direct us to any such rule that gives an Agency the authority to OMIT this material? And if such a directive exists, is it also permissible to OMIT that portion from the Table of Contents? If this material is to be omitted, does a Transcriber’s Note go on the Transcriber’s notes Page, or in the Body of the Text were the omission is taking place? Please cite the sections in which you are relying upon. Thank you, in advance, for your time and consideration in this matter.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks for the interesting question. It's so interesting that I find it requires a little research. I've consulted on it and I'll post an answer as soon as I get it.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks for your patience. Contents listings are NOT omitted. So transcribe as listed. You can have a TN on the TN page that states omissions of certain picture, like those without captions, for instance, or any other pictures that are omitted. Also say in your TN that the credits for omitted pictures are also omitted. When you get to the picture credits, omit the credits that refer to omitted pictures.

--Joanna

Lucas Timpe
    Participant

There are many times when photo credits have no direct reference to their corresponding photos located somewhere in the print. How it one to determine which credit to omit?

Also what if (as in our case) you have a credit citation (a copyright) right below the photo but no caption for that photo? Based on your answer and also the way Rule 6.21a and 9.5.4 read, it is impled we are to omit the photo when there is no caption and it is not referenced in print. Ultimaly requiring us to omitting the credit as well. Is this a correct interpretation?

joannavenneri
    Participant

Your questions are great. In a case like this, I find it easier to deal with a concrete situation and you have suggested one.

This is why these are called guidelines. Often, there is NOT a specific provision and that is why this is taking so long.

The issue here isn't so much the actual photo credits, but rather the issue of including or omitting text. The trend has moved steadily towards following print and NOT taking it upon ourselves to omit what is printed.

List photo credits in contents because we list everything printed in contents. If you are omitting any photos, explain in a TN. If you are omitting photo credits, explain that in a TN as well. Photo credits that don't match up with a picture can be omitted. Use your judgement. Depending on the situation and IF the credits are listed in contents, you can say that credits for omitted pictures are also omitted.

Pictures without captions--you may decide to describe some or all of these. You certainly should if the text refers to them in any way. But pictures with no captions that do not add information to the text can be omitted with notice. See 6.1.2 about omitted pictures with no caption.

Pictures that do have captions are generallly included along with accompanying credits that are present, usually following the caption.

For pictures that have ONLY the credit, consider treating that credit as a caption and describing the picture in a TN. If that picture truly should be omitted, consider a TN that notifies of the omission at that point and briefly mentions the credit by way of identification.

I hope this helps. That's why they call these guidelines.

--Joanna

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.