placement of headings

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science placement of headings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Good morning,
    Is there a rule or guideline you could point me to that would tell me where to place the labels (a, b, etc.) for each shape on the attached page? In print, the labels are shown below the shapes. Would you suggest keeping it consistent with print--in this case below the shape, or, moving it above the shape, or perhaps another placement?
    Thank you very much!
    Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi, Susan. Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, 2010 does not answer your question, other than giving the wise advice to be consistent in placement of the labels.
    TG 6.11.1 Simple Geometric Shapes. (Two-dimensional) does say this in 6.11.1.5: "Labels should be placed outside the shape if possible and 1/8 inch (3 millimeters) away from the shape or point symbol."

Some teachers may request that labels be placed as they appear in print, to make it obvious to non-braille-reading assistants what they are looking at.
    However, I would suggest putting the labels in the proper cell for a displayed expression, aligned with the top part of the drawing which then is placed to the right of the label.

The five shapes should be arranged vertically on the braille page, not horizontally as in print.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.