Plural Function Abbreviation

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Plural Function Abbreviation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

When an abbreviated function name is plural (such as “logs”) in print, does it need to be wrapped in Nemeth Code in the same way other abbreviated function names as stated in 14.1.1 on pg. 14-3.
    Example:

2. You don't need to know what logs are in order to do this graph. All you need to know is how to find log x for various values of x. If you have a "scientific" hand calculator that has a log button on it, you can graph y = log x.

Lindy Walton

Hi Veeah.

This is an interesting question! I do not consider "logs" to be the same as the abbreviated function name "log". "logs" would not be found in a mathematical expression. It's conversational shorthand, I suppose, in this sentence.

You can confidently transcribe "logs" in UEB. "log x", on the other hand, should be in Nemeth (as well as y = log x). Now, what about "log button"? Here, I would lean toward putting "log" inside Nemeth code switches.

Thank you for giving me something to think about.

Lindy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.