Polymer Chain

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Polymer Chain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Dear Expert,

Would you please provide instructions for me on how I should braille the Ethylene monomer, Polyethylene chain, and Polyethylene Branch shown below?

Thank you,

Jay Dailey

Georgia Braille Transcribers

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Michael. Reason: Attached is the picture
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Jay,

Thank you for your question and for the well attached file. Could you please give me a bit more information? Namely:

1. In what code (or combination of codes)  are you transcribing this print?
    2. Are you able to present material using a tactile graphic, or are you are limited to using braille dots?

Thank you.

–Kyle

Michael
    Participant

1. The code in use is the Nemeth code within UEB context.

2. Yes we can use tactile graphics. We also use a combination of collage and embellished tiger embossed graphics.

Thank you for your response, Kyle.

Georgia Braille Transcribers

kdejute

Thank you for the follow-up. In response to your question:

This will work very nicely as a tactile graphic, since the focus here is the shape of the molecules and chains and not on their bonds. I would suggest using circles with two different fill textures.

A texture key would begin the page, labeling the two textures being used so that the graphic will not be cluttered with the Hs and the Cs. Use the UEB Grade 1 symbol indicator in the texture labels (H and C).

Following Chemistry Code layout instructions, the molecular labels ("Ethylene monomer" "Polyethylene chain" and "Polyethylene Branch") should be on the line above each drawing (with a blank line before and after the drawing itself) starting in the same cell as the leftmost location of the tactile. I believe cell 1 is the recommended location (according to Tactile Graphic Guidelines).

Each pair of examples shown in the book (Ethylene monomer & Polyethylene chain and Ethylene monomer & Polyethylene [chain with] Branch) is made of two separate molecules, so print's side-by-side layout is not important -- I would start each polyethylene diagram on a new line at the margin to allow the use of the full width of the paper. I imagine they will be pretty small at only 11" wide, so I don't see any reason why you can't delete a couple of the molecules in each polyethylene chain to allow for a better graphic.

Since no Nemeth Code is needed in the drawings, a code switch is unnecessary.

May the force be with you and  your embosser never drop a dot!

–Kyle (with consulation help)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.