Prefixes and Suffixes, Vowel Combinations

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Prefixes and Suffixes, Vowel Combinations

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    PSB
    Participant

The workbook I am brailling shows prefixes and suffixes circled in a word e.g. continue - the con is circled, kindness - the ness is circled. I have used the italic indicator and termination indicator to show this. Is this correct?

Vowel combinations such as ow, oo, ea are shown in a box. Can I use parenthesis to enclose these or do I need to use the shape indicator or something else?

Thank you,
    Patricia

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Please send the print page. I can't tell otherwise.

--Joanna

PSB
    Participant

[quote=joannavenneri]Please send the print page. I can't tell otherwise.

--Joanna[/quote]

joannavenneri
    Participant

[quote=PSB]The workbook I am brailling shows prefixes and suffixes circled in a word e.g. continue - the con is circled, kindness - the ness is circled. I have used the italic indicator and termination indicator to show this. Is this correct?

Vowel combinations such as ow, oo, ea are shown in a box. Can I use parenthesis to enclose these or do I need to use the shape indicator or something else?

Thank you,
    Patricia[/quote]

joannavenneri
    Participant

[quote=joannavenneri]Please send the print page. I can't tell otherwise.

--Joanna[/quote]

PSB
    Participant

Got it. Thank you very much. Very helpful. Back soon with suggestions.

--Joanna

PSB
    Participant

A shape indicator is considered a font attribute, like italics or bold. Use the shape indicator for the stand-alone vowel combinations in Activity A. Activity C shows emphasized letters within a word. This is very different that the Activity A, which simply has isolated letter combinations. See Formats Section 5.8. Use only italics for all instances of emphasized letters within words. In this case, use italics and explain in a TN that the emphasized letters within the words are enclosed in a various shapes in print and shown in italics in braille. (Looks like some ovals and at least one circle to me.) In this case you will not need the termination sign with the italics because the shapes enclose the final letters of each word; there are not remaining letters in the word and there's nothing to terminate.

--Joanna

PSB
    Participant

[quote=joannavenneri]A shape indicator is considered a font attribute, like italics or bold. Use the shape indicator for the stand-alone vowel combinations in Activity A. Activity C shows emphasized letters within a word. This is very different that the Activity A, which simply has isolated letter combinations. See Formats Section 5.8. Use only italics for all instances of emphasized letters within words. In this case, use italics and explain in a TN that the emphasized letters within the words are enclosed in a various shapes in print and shown in italics in braille. (Looks like some ovals and at least one circle to me.) In this case you will not need the termination sign with the italics because the shapes enclose the final letters of each word; there are not remaining letters in the word and there's nothing to terminate.

--Joanna[/quote]

Thank you - most helpful
    Patricia

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.