Preliminary pages

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Preliminary pages

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello!

I have several questions:

1. If all of my preliminary pages add up to only about 27 full lines ought I to submit 37 pages? I have 3 preliminary pages, one of which contains only two words, so I know I would definitely need at least 36 pages. However, neither of the other two preliminary pages are "full" either. Should I submit 37 pages then?

2. Also, if an ampersand appears only in the name of the publisher and nowhere else in the book do I need a special symbols page just for that?

3. Must I contract ‘to’ in a dedication? (For instance: To B. G. J.)

Thanks so much!

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

To answer your questions, your certification manuscript should have 35 full (40 cells, 25 lines) pages. If your preliminary pages only equate to a few words, then, yes, it would be a good idea to add a page or two extra ...

Question 2 - I personally would add the ampersand to the Special Symbols page.
    Question 3 - the word To should be contracted.

Happy Holidays!

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks so much, Jana! The problem I have with the ampersand issue is that if not for the ampersand in the name of the publisher, the book needs no Special Symbols page at all.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

In regards to your special symbols page, it IS required if you have the copyright symbol on your title page and the ampersand is required as well ... if there is one in print, you have to put one in braille. Refer to 19.2d in the Instruction Manual for required symbols 🙂 These are changes from the 2007 BANA Update.

🙂 Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Well, the problem is the print copy does <i>not</i> contain a copyright symbol. It just has the word "Copyright". Is an ampersand an unusual enough symbol to warrant a special symbols page just for one use? 19.2d says "if these symbols are used only one time, or rarely, in a volume, they should be explained in a transcriber's note in the text." But I couldn't do that on the title page...

Thanks so much for your help, Jana!

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Your special symbols page is necessary for your certification manuscript. 🙂

Happy Holidays!
    Jana

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.