provisional lessons indicator placement

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science provisional lessons indicator placement

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shelley Mack
    Participant

Lindy,

Attached please find a question I'm passing along regarding the placement of open/close Nemeth indicators before and after spatial math. I understand that there is some choice allowed in placement, so I think the question for these transcribers is if there is a right and wrong in this case. The question is in regards to 15.11-3 where the Nemeth indicators are at the margin before and after the spatial fraction as opposed to embedded at the end of the preceding text and the beginning of the text afterwards. My gut tells me that the closing after the spatial fraction has to be at the margin, that we wouldn't put the closing at the beginning of the following comment. So to put the opening also at the margin in easier for the reader.

Thanks,

Shelley Mack

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Thank you for pointing this out. Following the method suggested earlier (10.34) and 15.11.1, it certainly makes sense to put the opening indicator in the runover position of the commentary.

Note: I see that on page C-9 of Appendix C, regarding placement of switch indicators with spatial arrangements it says that "the opening Nemeth Code indicator is placed in … cell 1 on a line by itself if it precedes <u>unitemized</u> material" although I am not seeing this option discussed in the lessons. In this case, however,  Example 15.11-3 is itemized material so it does seem best to put the switch indicator in the runover position of the commentary.

Lindy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.