Punctuation after fill-in blank line

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Punctuation after fill-in blank line

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a multiple choice problem to braille where the last word in the problem is a blank to be filled in. I saw in Rule 13 I believe that the blank line with the question mark above it can be replaced in braille with the double dash.

What I wondered about is the punctuation to end the sentence. Can I just put a period after the double dash, or do I need a punctuation indicator before the period (since the type of answer that will go on the blank line is a numeric answer).

I will attach the problem here. Thanks so much for your help.

Lindy Walton

Omission rules are covered in Rule X of the Nemeth Code. Section 57 states that a question mark with a dash beneath it is to be transcribed as a general omission symbol (dots 123456). The answer to your punctuation question can be found in Rule VI, Sec.37.iv. In your example, it is clear that the context is mathematical, therefore a punctuation indicator is required before the ending period.
    --Lindy Walton (Committee Member)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.