Question for those who are Transcribers/Aides

Home Forums Professional Resources Question for those who are Transcribers/Aides

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Okay, all of you out there who are Transcriber/Aides to students who are in our School Systems.
    Would you be willing to go to a class or take a course to learn how to work with your students and also learn Braille and the components it takes to do your job? I don't know if I am asking this question correctly, but I would really like to see if you would have benefited from taking a course to learn how to work with visually impaired/blind students and also learn Braille and other components to the job when you started. I know there isn't one way to work with students, because each are an individual and they all learn differently, but just to get some basics. Instead of just being thrown in a job that you had no idea on how to do and having no idea how you are going to learn Braille correctly.
    This happens all of the time. So I am curious...

I'm sorry if this is not the place to ask this question, but didn't know where else to ask and reach people in our field. Please let me know what you think.

JanaBrailles

Sorry to respond so late in the game. My alerts must have been turned off.

I have found the following titles useful when I start working with new transcribers. I use them mainly for adding to their experience and more information. Hope they help you. The following are available from AFB Press. You can Google their site and visit their amazing bookstore.
    When You Have ... Series
    When You Have a Visually Impaired Student in Your Classroom
    When You Have a Visually Impaired Student with Multiple Disabilities in Your Classroom
    When You Have a Visually Impaired Student in Your Classroom: A Guide for Paraeducators

Hope I am not too late to help.

Janice L. Carroll
    Participant

One resource we have used in our school district in the past is from TSBVI (Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired: "A Paraprofessional's Handbook for Working with Students Who Are Visually Impaired" ...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.