Question mark as numerator / question mark in general fractions

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Question mark as numerator / question mark in general fractions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

I think this would best fit here. I have a situation where I have a question mark to indicate the numerator in a fraction. Obviously I need to use grade 1 mode for the general fraction indicator. My question is how to make it clear that it's a question mark and not an opening quote. If I do this ;;(8./#I) (*which is more traditional"), it could be read as an opening quotation mark instead of the question mark it is. On the other hand, this ;(;8./#I) makes me cringe a little inside. (Now here's hoping the braille embedded in the sentence actually looks right.)

kdejute

Taylor,

I feel the same. ;(;8./#I) is cringey. Also, it goes against #5 in BANA's Provisional Guidance on Transcribing Mathematics in UEB, which says in part:

Unless a math expression can be correctly represented with only a grade 1 symbol indicator in the first three cells or before a single letter standing alone anywhere in the expression, begin the expression with a grade 1 word indicator (or a passage indicator if the expression includes spaces).

I'm passing your question along to the members of NBA's UEB Technical Material Committee for their astute input so we can give you specific feedback.

–Kyle

kdejute

There *might* be an argument for your second proposed transcription. 7.6.9 of the updated section 7.6 in the Rules of UEB says "When an opening double quotation mark ⠦ is immediately preceded by a grade 1 indicator, it will be read as a question mark."

However, that same transcription  ;(;8./#i) – with two grade 1 symbol indicators within the first three cells of the expression – goes against #5 in BANA's Provisional Guidance on Transcribing Mathematics in UEB, and it just interrupts the flow of the fraction in a way that is unhelpful to the reader.
    We believe that ;;(8./#i) is the best transcription of the fraction "question mark over 9." The question mark in the numerator of a fraction is very unlikely to be misread as an opening quotation mark, not least of all because if we did have a quotation mark in that position, we would transcribe the fraction as follows: ;(,7./#i)

So, WE WOULD RECCOMMEND using the first transcription you proposed. ;;(8./#i) A transcriber's note to explain the situation might be in order (e.g., "A question mark is used in the following fraction.").

Thank you for this question!

–Kyle and the whole NBA UEB Tech Material Committee

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.