Quotation Marks

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Quotation Marks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Klepper

We are brailling a textbook with a section in the back on grammar/spelling/punctuation.

We are seeking confirmation on brailling the quotation marks in the sample below. Would we apply UEB  7.6.4  When an opening nonspecific quotation mark would be read as the wordsign "his", use the appropriate specific quotation mark instead. 

According to this, we believe we would use the specific quotation marks for the (""), since the opening could be read as the word his.

My only concern with that is the Example sentence that follows. If we apply this rule to ("") , then what about the Example sentence? We have used the nonspecific throughout the entire text. Wouldn't we use the nonspecific for the example sentence? We have not used the specific anywhere else in the book, but now we are showing the specific in parentheses and the nonspecific in the example and throughout the rest of the text. It seems confusing and inconsistent.

Quotation Marks

Quotation Marks ("") are used to set off someone's exact words. A comma always separates what is said from who said it. Periods and commas go inside of Quotation marks.

Example:

"There are too many rules to punctuation," he stated.

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your patience while I hashed this out with the UEB Committee. The majority is of the opinion that there is no need to use the specific double quotation marks in this instance. They are clearly labeled as Quotation Marks and, as you say, using the specific marks would likely cause more confusion than not using them. Go ahead and transcribe them as nonspecific quotation marks within parentheses.

Braille on,

Julie

Mandy Kay
    Participant

I would like to be directed on where I can find more information about when a Two-Cell Double Quotation Mark could and should be used. I have referenced The Rules of UEB 7.6 but I see only one example of this particular quotation mark. In Lesson 16.2c in the NFB Literary Transcriber Course it touches on it but not in any length as to give a clear understanding. Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.