quote bubbles in math

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical quote bubbles in math

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

Hi Kyle!

It's me again asking for help on how to format some 4th grade math. I am attaching some examples of the math problems. What would you suggest on formatting these types of problems with color and quote bubbles. I am using the first transcriber defined typeform for the blue color.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Melissa,

Thank you for the question and for sharing some images of your print.

We (the NBA UEB Technical Material Committee) recommend creating a key for the quote bubbles so that their full text is given before the problems and the little key symbols for each quote bubble are placed where appropriate in relation to the spatial problems. This cuts down on the amount of text crowded into the spatial problems, which are challenging to navigate even without commentary.

Similarly, for the blue text, *if* you have to keep the blue, then we would explain its use in a transcriber's note before the problems. Spatial math is difficult enough, and adding a three cell symbol (the transcriber-defined typeform) to the math will make it much more difficult.

The wording for a transcriber's note about blue text might say something like, "In the following problem, blue text is used to highlight 73 in 573, the second 2 and the 8 in 228, and 800. This highlighting is not reproduced in braille."

Braille on!
    –Kyle and the UEB Tech Team at NBA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.