remainder is a shaded square

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science remainder is a shaded square

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bama Braille
    Participant

My question is about the example in the top right column, Write 32/5 as a mixed number.
    This is a 4th grade math book. Should there be a space between the r and the shaded square following it. Otherwise it looks like the word red. Or would it be better with no space and a dot 5, since the square represents a number? Thank you

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

In work arranged spatially, only the general omission symbol (full cell) is used to show omissions. NC Sec.58.
    Do not use a shape symbol for a shaded square in a spatial arrangement.
    The general omission symbol is not a numeric symbol, even if it is representing a missing numeral, so there is no need for a dot 5 between the r and the full cell.

Lindy Walton

Thanks, Lindy!

Bama Braille
    Participant

One more question about shaded squares. I have a number line with fractions above and the decimal equivalent underneath. After 0.2 there are shaded squares for the next seven positions, followed by 1.0 for 10/10. Since number lines are considered a graphic illustration, I use the omission symbol for these shaded squares also, correct?

Bama Braille
    Participant

The rule (NC Sec.48) actually applies to work arranged spatially for *computation, not to graphics, but I see no reason not to use the general omission symbol here.

Bama Braille
    Participant

I think I've got it now, thanks so much, Lindy!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.