Repeated sidenote

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Repeated sidenote

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

So we are translating a 3rd grade Spelling book. There are a couple of different marginal notes that repeats itself in the same location of each lesson.
    I cannot seem to find the rule which pertains to this in the new Braille Formats 2011, I am sure I am just overlooking it.

Can we just take the repeating note out and put it on the Transcriber's notes page? Or what do you suggest?

Thank you for your help as always 😉

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I need to see a couple of print pages. Remember that the handling of all marginal material is one of the most changed in the new Formats. I need to see exactly what kind of note this is and at least one instance of how it is repeated.

Thanks.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

The 4 pages attached are the ones in question. So I am not sure how other people actually write on their .pdf files, so I will just add that here. 😉

The ones in question would be the circled text off to the right and also the boxed text talking about strategy. And while I have your attention; how would you treat the spelling pattern box below? We are actually emphasizing the red part words with italics to show the student. Let me know what you think.

Thank you so much for your time.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I would follow print for the sidebars and repeat them in appropriate places on the pages that repeat them in print. They are there for a reason and that is to tell the student what to do at that particular location in the print.

On the red words parts in the spelling pattern boxes, I agree--use italics. Section 5.8 covers this exact situation and specifies that italics is used for emphasized letters within words regardless of the way in which those letters might be emphasized in print.

Thanks for sending the print examples.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.