Representing bold in maths, when using MS-Word, MathType, Swift, Duxbury DBT…

Home Forums Computer-Assisted Transcription Representing bold in maths, when using MS-Word, MathType, Swift, Duxbury DBT…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Donald Winiecki

I am using MS-Word, MathType, Swift, and Duxbury DBT (v 12.2) to produce a set of worksheets for a university student in a matrix algebra class. At this level of mathematics it is common for certain symbols to be bolded, so this must be carried into the transcription.

The transcriptions are being done using Nemeth in UEB context.

In MathType, it appears that bolding is to be accomplished using a user-defined style. In my case this has been produced as "style 1". When the MathType is represented graphically in MS-Word, the bolding is clearly displayed. However, when using Swift to move the file into Duxbury DBT and into braille, this style is displayed not as the appropriate bold indicator but as a Nemeth "#1".

This leads to the question, how can I produce the bold formatting in MathType such that it is properly converted to the appropriate indicators in Duxbury DBT?

Best wishes,

_don

Melissa Klepper

Donald

I have been consulting with my committee and we are still trying to get an answer for you. I apologize for the delay. I will get back to you as soon as we can come up with assistance.

Thanks so much for your patience.

Melissa Klepper

Donald,

Will you please attach a Word doc copy of a page or two of the text you are working with? This will help us try to find an answer to your question.

Donald Winiecki

Hi Melissa and thanks! I'm attaching an example file. You'll see the bolding begin on the first page following t-pages.

When submitting this to DBT using Swift and then transcribing in DBT, rather than showing the proper braille notations for braille DBT puts a #1 (in Nemeth braille).

Looking forward to your advice!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Melissa Klepper

Donald,

After consulting with a number of Duxbury users, our recommendation would be to contact Duxbury Support. Since there are numerous versions of DBT, Swift, and MathType, we are not equipped to resolve the issue you are experiencing. You may email them at support@duxsys.com or call 1-978-692-3000. Additionally, you may want to join the DuxUser Discussion Group. You can subscribe to duxuser by sending a blank message to duxuser-request@freelists.org with "subscribe" in the subject line.  I hope this information leads you to the answer you are searching for.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.