Rigidity of Rules – Willie Sitton

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Rigidity of Rules – Willie Sitton

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

I am the supervisor of the QC Department at my agency. I largely use Braille Formats and Rules of UEB as reference for my checks, using any of the thousand or so other reference books and bulletins when needed.

I am unfamiliar with how the braille community at large interprets the use of braille rules so I would like to ask this: Is it more important to follow the rules found in these manuals rigidly or is it okay to color outside the lines (using a common sense approach based on the material being transcribed) so long as a clear and concise transcription of the material is maintained? I am talking about common formats here, not oddball or one-off jobs.

I feel a balance should be struck between what is clear for the braille reader, what's easiest for the transcriber (who's doing a massive amount of braille on a deadline) and following the rules as closely as possible. However, I am told by some in my department that nothing is more important than strictly following the rules laid out in these manuals, therefore I am asking an outside party for an opinion. I realize the answer to this question can easily be chalked up to being "an agency decision" which is why I am asking about the consensus of the braille community at large. Thank you.

dworthing
    Participant

Braille Formats is a code and should be followed as closely as possible.  This allows for the fact that students often get books from multiple sources and we want the formatting to be as consistent as possible - regardless of who transcribes it.

Cindi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.