Rounding Whole Numbers (Underline digit)

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Rounding Whole Numbers (Underline digit)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I was wondering if there is another way of presenting to a fifth grader an Underlined digit.
    The Intro to Braille Mathematics would have you use the Five-Step Rule: Sec. 125 pp. 187. Example on pp. 189 (24).
    Any suggestions to make it easier, she has a little difficulty with Math.

In the the file I'm sending you No. 1. the 6 is underlined; 2. the first 9 is underlined; 3. the 4 is underlined; and 4. the zero is underlined.

Thank you in advance.

Mike O.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

First, I have to say that the correct way to do an underlined number is to use the 5-step modification method. In special circumstances, for an individual student, you can probably make accomodations. Some people use the boldface indicator to designate an underlined number. If you use the boldface indicator, then you must insert the numeric indicator before the digit that follows so that the boldface doesn't extend through the rest of the number. For very young students, I have used a transcriber's note to say that the underlined digit is given in parentheses following the number. e.g., (the first 9 is underlined) I don't know if this is any help to you. Let me know if it is not and maybe we can figure out something else.

Dorothy answering for Betty Marshall

dworthing
    Participant

Thank you Dorothy, I appreciate your input.

Mike O.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.